Friday, August 04, 2006

My Dear - 17

To friend

My dear friend,

Do you remember the day we met nine years ago? We thought we'd make great friends despite our contrasting interests and we did. I taught you to ride a bike, to analyze share markets and to solve crosswords. Whenever I solved a puzzled faster than you, you'd say - "I so want to be you." I never forgot how you beat me in a game of chess one day and jumped like a victor of war. You taught me how to choose classy outfits, introduced me to contact lens and didn't give up until I replaced my 'Bata' unisex sandal with a pair of trendy footwear. Whenever I struggled with the color harmony of my dress, you'd tell me what a pathetic learner I was.

My aim was to become an Economist, while you had no such lofty ambitions. You wanted to marry early, stay at home and take care of your kids. 'Oh, loser' I had murmured in my head condescendingly, when I heard you say that. Honestly, I couldn't think a whit of being you!

A couple of days ago, out of curiosity, I ran a google search on your name and found the result taking me to the website of London school of Business. I found your name and picture in the list of candidates who have successfully completed MBA. In the picture, you looked fresh and young, full of energy and zeal. You too must be curious to know what I do, but I am sure google wouldn't return any result if you searched. I fell in love, married at 20 and I am a housewife now, serving endless meals, taking care of old in-laws, a cute year-old son and a loving husband. I have exactly the kind of wardrobe you suggested I must have, I visit a beauty salon every fortnight and I wear footwear with a 3-inch heel. But, you know what? Today, my heart is filled with a yen to be you. I am overwhelmed with pain and agony, when I realize that today's 'you' is none other than yesterday's 'I'.

Take care,
An old friend.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In new york state when I did my PhD, I was the youngest inspite of being 30, which is too old for a PhD by Indian standards! The average age was 45+ in my class.
My father did his masters when he was 42, and burnt me and my brother with his 90+ scores all the time! He took two year probation from government job and it is legal and encouraged and we were very proud of him! There is always a way out to learn what you want to learn!
Dear Old Friend, Its never too late! Go get what you wanted in education and career! In BITS-Pilani, IIT and VIT in India women of all ages are doing MBA and PhD now!
The secret is I am very jealous that you found your true life partner so early! You are way ahead of all of us! Go get the other simple things anytime you wish!
And help your friend find love in her life! :)

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say which one touched me more; an old friend's letter or madura's comments!
---------------------
The secret is I am very jealous that you found your true life partner so early! You are way ahead of all of us! Go get the other simple things anytime you wish!

And help your friend find love in her life!
---------------------

Cheers!

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant thank you enough Madura, for your encouraging words. My friend is married too. She has struck the right balance between marital and academic life.

I am planning to pursue MBA...Ive started dusting my number skills already. Planning CAT 07 or 08...Let's see if I can make it.

I wish you luck for a happy life with a perfect dream partner.

Thank you, the tamil girl.
- the letter writer.

5:51 AM  
Blogger The Visitor said...

That was a great post with great comments.

I read somewhere, "you get only what you want". I was skeptic when I read that. Looking back at my life, I have had numerous occassions when I have thought, "what could have been..." or "if I had...". But in reality I have chosen a path consciously for whatever that I presumed that I would get - and get it, I definitley did. I realized that had I followed some other path, I wouldn't have what I have now!

So life is full of these choices, identifying priorities and living by them. So don't regret - that is the ultimate spoiler.

And I am with madura and tamilgirl, it is never too late to start. See the life of Dr GV and take heart. He started the Aravind eye hospital AFTER his retirement!

Another link: Dr GV

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The visitor,

Thanks for the link. I did read about Dr.G.V in the links you'd mentioned. It surely makes me feel charged up.

I particularly liked Goethe's lines in the article-

Are you in earnest?
Seize this very minute;
What you can do, or dream,
you begin it;
Boldness hath genius, power,
and magic in it,
Only engage, and then the
mind grows heated.
Begin; and then the work
will be completed.

-the letter writer

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cheers to all!!!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home